Mold can establish a colony in just about any area of your home, including your HVAC equipment. When you consider the fact that your HVAC system circulates air to every room, you’ll realize how much of a problem mold can be if it’s lurking in your system. Let’s walk you through the dangers of HVAC mold, along with what you can do to keep your system protected.
What Are the Dangers of Having Mold in Your HVAC System?
Mold can develop in your HVAC system due to humidity, accumulation of water, and the presence of nourishment in your system. Nutrition for mold is usually provided by the dirt, dust, pollen, animal dander, dead skin cells, and water that collects inside your air ducts over time.
The presence of mold in your HVAC system can bring about the following issues:
- Musty smell. A musty odor usually accompanies a mold infestation. If there’s mold growing in your HVAC system, you’ll have a strange musty smell in several adjacent rooms.
- Visible growth. If you have a severe mold problem, you may see small amounts of visible mold in your vents and around your drip pan and ductwork.
- Health effects. When mold grows in your HVAC system, a generous amount of mold spores can be distributed to every room connected to your vents. When you switch on your heating or AC system, the particles blow, along with the air, into your rooms. It triggers allergic reactions in many people and can cause asthma attacks in the elderly and children.
How Do You Prevent Mold from Growing in Your HVAC System?
Mold infestations are stubborn, so it’s best to avoid them. Here are some prevention measures you can take:
- Use high-efficiency air filters and replace them regularly.
- Clean your drip pans regularly.
- Schedule biannual preventive HVAC maintenance.
- Insulate your ductwork to reduce condensation within them.
- Have your ducts cleaned professionally every three years.
Regular HVAC maintenance will prevent mold buildup and help keep your air clean and safe. For more tips on preventing HVAC mold buildup, contact Detmer and Sons. We provide high-quality heating, air conditioning, and IAQ solutions to homeowners in the Dayton area.