Even well-maintained HVAC systems eventually require replacement. Unbelievable as it may sound, sometimes an upgrade results in more savings than a repair — even if the new system costs a bit more initially. So when is the right time to think about replacing your HVAC equipment? Here are some telltale signs:
- Age. Major HVAC components start deteriorating after 10 years. That implies the need for repairs increases. Consider replacing your current system if it was installed more than 10 years ago.
- Repair costs. Some HVAC repairs are downright expensive. For example, a faulty compressor may be too costly to fix on its own. A time may also come when your system needs a repair that costs more than half of what you would pay for a new system. In such cases, purchasing a new unit is a wiser decision.
- Efficiency. Are your energy bills significantly higher than those from the same month in previous years? If so, it’s highly likely that your HVAC system is less efficient. Efficiency usually declines with age. Upgrading to a newer Energy Star-qualified system can significantly reduce your heating and air conditioning costs.
- Weird noises. As parts of your heating and cooling system become older, you may hear strange sounds like squealing and grinding. Be sure to have your system inspected if you notice such unusual noises.
- Too much dust or humidity. An air conditioner that’s running efficiently removes dust and keeps moisture under control. If there’s excessive dust or humidity in your home in the summer, you probably have a damaged A/C system that needs replacement.
- Rooms that are too cold or too hot. An aging system could cause temperature inconsistencies due to problems such as severely damaged motors, cracked ducts, and low fluid levels. Replacing your HVAC system could result in a more comfortable indoor environment.
Bear in mind that poorly sealed ducts and inadequate home insulation can also cause some of the issues above. Therefore, if you notice any of these signs, it’s best to contact an HVAC professional to ascertain the cause. If you’re unsure if you need to replace your HVAC system in the Dayton area, contact Detmer and Sons. Our dedicated team is ready to assist you.