Before you hire an HVAC technician to work on your system, whether it’s for a tuneup or a major repair, look for the HVAC certifications that indicate you’re dealing with reputable and qualified company. HVAC systems are complex and your comfort and energy bills depend on the competence of the technicians who service it.
- Licensing. The State of Ohio licenses HVAC technicians and contractors. They conduct a thorough background investigation, administer a test and require 5 years of hands-on experience and a course of study through an accredited program. The contractor that the technician represents must have liability insurance and bonding.
- EPA licensing. The U.S. EPA requires that anyone who handles the refrigerant used in central cooling systems, including heat pumps have an active license. Some kinds of refrigerant used in HVAC systems are toxic.
- NATE certification. Achieving NATE (North American Technician Excellence) certification is the highest achievement in the HVAC industry. NATE’s goal is to advance the knowledge and performance of technicians and contractors in the industry. The testing that NATE requires for all its applicants is the most rigorous in the HVAC field.
The organization requires ongoing education and re-testing each two years to keep the certification active. Any HVAC contractor has to make sure that the company’s technicians keep their NATE certifications current to qualify for NATE membership.
- Factory authorizations. HVAC contractors who are factory-authorized dealers for companies that manufacture HVAC equipment have demonstrated a high level of customer satisfaction and skill with the installation and servicing of HVAC systems.
Premiere and factory-authorized dealers have access to more in-depth information than contractors not affiliated with a manufacturer.
- BBB rating. Look for a good rating from the Better Business Bureau before hiring a contractor or a technician. The BBBs rating scale runs from A+ to F. They base their ratings on the company’s local performance.
Searching for a company that offers these HVAC certifications will give you the best performance and customer service. Detmer and Sons is a NATE-certified company, with an A+ rating from the BBB, providing HVAC services for homeowners in the Dayton area.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Dayton, Ohio about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “ArtsyBee_pixabay”