Spring is coming, and that means allergy season is on the way. You can’t control the air outside, but you can, and should, control the indoor air quality in your home. Both localized cleaning and whole-house air purification can decrease allergens. Even if you don’t suffer from seasonal allergies or asthma, improving indoor air quality can reduce odors and decrease health risks.
When you do your spring cleaning, be sure to include these steps to improve indoor air quality.
- Use a vapor steam cleaner on surfaces, carpets, and furniture. Steam cleaners provide safe, chemical-free cleaning and they kill bacteria, dust mites, and mold.
- Make sure your vacuum has a HEPA filter to trap the the particles it collects, and always empty bagless vacuum outside, so that you are not releasing allergens in your home.
- Open windows while you clean. Outdoor air is typically cleaner than indoor air, so take the opportunity to bring some fresh air into your home and get the stale air out.
- Always regularly and thoroughly clean bedding once or twice a week, especially if you have pets. Bedding and sheets collect the pollen, dust, and other allergens that are on your clothes, skin and hair, which can cause respiratory issues while you sleep.
There are also a number of products you can use to improve indoor air quality.
- Duct cleaning is especially important if you’ve done any remodeling, have pets or smokers in your household or if it has been at least five years since your ducts were last cleaned.
- Whole-House Air Cleaners filter air to remove dust, mites, dander, smoke, pollen, bacteria, and more.
- Dehumidifiers for the entire house or portable units remove excess moisture, which contributes to the growth of bacteria, viruses, and mold.
- UV Light Disinfectant Devices remove unwanted organisms by killing them silently. If you prefer a noiseless solution, this could be the right choice for you.
Don’t wait until you are sniffling and sneezing; call Detmer and Sons today, before allergies get you down. In fact, allergens can be in your home year-round, so there is no reason to delay. We provide a variety of indoor air quality products and services in the Dayton area, so we can help you find the best solution for your home and family.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information, click here to download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.