If your home ducts were designed for low cost instead of longevity, they could begin deteriorating in as little as 10 years. Watch for these telling signs that indicate you need duct replacement sooner rather than later.
- Gaps, cracks or tears: Joints between spans of ductwork may begin to separate if inadequate duct tape was used as the sealing agent. Flexible ducts can also become torn. Ductwork openings allow heated and cooled air to escape, which wastes energy and causes comfort problems.
- Temperature variations: If your ductwork is inaccessible, feel for temperature differences at the supply registers around your home. In the winter, some may supply nice hot air, while others are lukewarm at best. If the difference is noticeable enough, you may end up with hot and cold pockets around your home.
- Excess humidity: This is another sign your ductwork has been compromised. In the summer, gaps and cracks let excess humidity from outside into your home, causing a muggy feeling.
- Low airflow: While malfunctioning HVAC equipment could be to blame, improper duct design and installation could also be the cause of low airflow. Check for misaligned, disconnected or collapsed ducts that can result in impaired airflow from supply registers.
- Excess debris in the system: If your filter fills up with debris faster than usual, there could be a breach in your air ducts. You should explore the problem further to determine if duct replacement is in order.
- Old age: If your home was built more than 50 years ago, asbestos insulation may have been used to line your ducts. If you haven’t received the all-clear regarding this harmful substance, you certainly want to pursue insulation and duct replacement.
Please contact Detmer and Sons, Inc. in Dayton to learn more about replacing your ductwork.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Dayton, Ohio about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Kichigin/Shutterstock”